I loved you once

Really, I did.

A sweet candied apple kind of love
a legs wide open, love
a love that knew each
and every one of my secrets.

Do you remember the night that I wrote testaments across your body?

Paint brush in hand

You a moonlit canvas, pale as washed wool.

I dreamt mad Van Gogh blue skies,
wrapped up with you

Together we were dripping swirls of moonlight 
as we layed tangled together
our clothes strewn across dimpled sheets
our bodies smothering the floor

We tossed about
 drunk on that cool summer breeze that blew in
just in time
as I held you still with a kiss.






Comments

M said…
I really like poems that involve memories, how some things from the past can be so vivid; sometimes painfully so, but memories are a real part of a person’s unique life experience. So I think this poem is very heartfelt and introspective about the sometimes fleeting nature of love or a love that cannot survive beyond the moment (even though in the moment it was genuine). The imagery of writing testaments across the body of someone loved is powerfully beautiful. My favorite part is this: “You a moonlit canvas, pale as washed wool. I dreamt mad Van Gogh blue skies, wrapped up with you, my love.” It conjures up the image of Van Gogh’s “Starry Night,” and sort of a re-examination of the sky he painted such as what might be interpreted as the twists and twirls of hands, arms, and legs streaming across the deep blue night sky. The ending is good, because now there’s this reflection on the time and how it wasn’t the sort of love that was able to last past dawn or past the beauty of the moment that was shared. Very nicely written.