Fireflies in Glass Jars Only Last so Long




I wonder about you sometimes,
So…. I have to keep my distance

I don’t always return the phone calls
Or get in touch the way I use to

You see,
Just like fucking strange men
Or sleeping in abandon cars

You my friend,
are not good for me.

You bring me back to who I used to be
An almost extinguished lighter flame glowing inside of me
easily snuffed out like fireflies in a child’s glass jar

I believe you liked me like that
Found space in my emptiness
I was less frightening when I was dangling from a 30 story building

You were always there waiting to catch me,
knowing I’d eventually fall

You watched the bar fights, the naked shouting matches
The bruises come and go
You fixed my hair and iced my face
It was exciting then,
We were adrenaline tornadoes
not about to touch down

 It’s been years since then,
now I feel you’ve taken my place

When I was hooked up, plugged in
I was alive with chemical lightning
dangerous tigers ran through my veins
I was old growth forests, before they were cut down
 Mania took over,

I was truly invincible,
Magic arrows formed from my eyes
and anyone with hurtful words, would just burst to flame

Or so I thought

We wanted to eat chaos
Taking heaping mouthfuls
You wanted to save me
I thought you were beautiful
Together we were fearless dragons in a city of ash
Crying out like a couple of assholes
waking up the neighbors, just to tell them to fuck off

When I am with you now,
I see my old self in your face

I can’t help but recall the flashing lights
The ambulance cries
The questioning cops
The multitude of overdoses
Dead soldiers strewn across empty sheets,
babies in dirty diapers, pleading for someone to pick them up.
Guns held to my temple as I begged them to just let us go.

Please
Just
Let
Us
Go

I remember running so fast
I wasn’t even sure of who or what I was running from
Just running
To feel the wind against my face
It seemed the only way I could truly breathe,
was to run till I hit the other side as hard as I could
Smacking into it
Full force
Face first
A fist full of reality

I ran to where I am today

I guess my friend,
I was running,
Yes,
I was running away from you
and this endless cycle of please don’t let me crash
Please don’t ever leave
Please
Oh God Please
Thank you
I’ll never do it again
And again, Please
Just Please.

I think about you on nights like these
When I’m alone and it is quiet and the rain is just letting loose

I think about those fire flies in the yard
In the jars
Their little lights turning off as we shut our eyes upon them

I think about your needles
Your never ending need for chaos
I think about how much I love you
and how much I want you to just pick up your feet

I wonder if you will ever just start running
Running so fast that there is nothing behind you
no one calling out your name
nothing to go back to
running until there is nothing left
 nothing left
but you.

Comments

M said…
OK, my comment is kind of long so the site says it exceeds the word limit! So, I'll send the rest seperately to you in a minute. Right now I'll just say that I think this poem is extremely good. I love how it gradually goes into deeper and deeper places with a lot of self-analysis and the sort of insight that comes with time, knowledge, and experience. It’s heart-wrenching, and gutsy, and somehow beautiful in all its inglorious pain. The only way I can try to tell you how good this is might be to say that it bleeds with beauty. I think I might have just coined a new phrase there (!), but yeah that’s how I feel about this poem. This is honest, gritty, heart and soul stuff, and I hope you’re really proud of your work because I think it’s excellent.