These Days



These days my body is filling up with light,
I can’t even help it

It’s happening without trying
There seems no room for darkness

My feet are extending
white roots
are growing ever
d
o
w
n
w
a
r
d
like a pair of tubers
in rich soil

The universe is funneling itself through me
There is black hole forming above my head

So I am opening up and giving back my turbulence

It is absorbing my hatred,
my racing thoughts
all my years of self medicating
with no means to an end

It’s vacuuming up my OCD

like a kite lost to the wind
I am finding out what it truly means to be free

I am turning in my anxieties like over due books

I am throwing them down

I have been carrying them all these years
and they have gotten

 so
very
heavy

I am over it

 Over all the repetitive conversations
that leave me with nothing but heart ache

This devil’s advocate
needlessly working overtime
 just to hold my arms down
so that I can not levitate
 in a space in which you are not

I’m turning in the towel

Giving up on theses mean streets
and all your sycophant love

You see,
I’ve gotten tired,
this body has become ill
and my defenses are down

So I am stretching out my arms
Standing on my tippy toes
grasping upward towards the bluing sky

Like tree branches or antennae
 I’m open for reception
ready for transmission

I’m done with transgression

- Barbi Touron


Comments

M said…
I know that you can imagine how much I love this poem. I was gonna phone you just to say so, but have a bad case of laryngitis and sound really hoarse and kind of silly! So yeah, instead you get my comment in writing. Everything here, from start to finish, works beautifully. It’s just overflowing with luscious positivity. The first 2 lines grabbed my attention, and from there on it felt like I was being pulled deeper and deeper into this mind-frame of transformation. Something I really like is how well you connect emotional transformation/revival with the earth and universe – it’s earthy and at the same time has a very transcendental feeling. I think that’s another one of the really strong things about your poetry, and a recurring theme too. One of my favorite parts is where it begins: “So I am opening up and giving back my turbulence. / It is absorbing my hatred, / my racing thoughts…..” The imagery is extremely vibrant, such as this part: “It’s vacuuming up my OCD / like a kite lost to the wind / I am finding out what it truly means to be free.” The idea of vacuuming up something that’s been a problem is simultaneously light-hearted and powerful – and it’s uplifting, just like that kite. Another of my favorite parts (but it’s actually hard to dissect this poem, because I like everything here) is the part that begins: “I am turning in my anxieties like over due books / I am throwing them down / I have been carrying them all these years / and they have gotten / so / very / heavy / I am over it.” The part that begins with “This devil’s advocate / needlessly working overtime / just to hold my arms down…..” is a really solid acknowledgement of the stuff that can hold us down and hold us back from where we want to be. The last four lines in the poem are a great summary of this transformation! I like everything here and could quote you all over the place, but I know that you know how much I like it and can relate to so much of it. It’s definitely one of your very best, and I can’t say enough about how beautifully well you express yourself here. It's pure joy to read this poem.
BT said…
you can phone me anytime, it'd be nice to hear from you again, it's been so very long.